Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snowpocalypse

So I've been stuck inside for the last 72 hours during snowpocalypse. Did I ever mention I hate winter? I think I did so I'll just continue. I went outside for twenty minutes, almost slipped ten times, and while I was outside, pretending to be 'free,' all I wanted to do was go back inside. To alleviate the boredom, I read. I finished Octavia Butler's Dawn. Towards the end of the book, there was a ton of interspecies, between human and alien, sex. But I was so bored, it was boring and just plain awkward (crickets...). 

Here's a conversation I had with myself about the book:

Q. Was the book entertaining?  
A. It was a bit. 

Q. What type of not so hidden hidden messages were in the book?
A. Clearly the author is antiwar. She based the premise of the story on a completely disastrous war--so devastating aliens had to rescue the remaining humans from earth because they completely destroyed their environment and wouldn't stop killing each other. Butler is a feminist, says so in the back of the book, and her protagonist is a strong, black female who eventually becomes stronger, physically due to genetic engineering. I'm thinking she has a thing for Asian men since the protagonist ends up 'mating' with one. 

Q. What genre is the book?
A. Science fiction. 

Q. Would you recommend the book?
A. If you like sci-fi where the main character has a lot of interspecies sex. It's like a cross between Hunger Games and a book with aliens. 

Q. Why'd you read this book?
A. Because I had to. 

Q. Would you read the rest of the books in the series?
A. No. 

No comments:

Post a Comment