Monday, October 1, 2012

Why the GaTech STAC major is cool...

You may be thinking, Georgia Tech? Georgia Institute of Technology? has a what major? You may think GaTech in terms of engineering only: #1 for Industrial and Systems Engineering,  #2 for biomedical engineering, blah blah blah. GaTech is one of the TOP 10 public schools in the country. And they have a STAC major. 

When I went to orientation before my first semester here, a librarian asked me what my major was so she could direct me to the correct library for my major. I said "STAC" and she looked at me like "what?" I said "STAC, you know, science, technology and culture?" and then she gave me a blank stare and said "well good luck at Tech."

Before my academic advising, all 200 transfers were placed into a large auditorium and were asked to cheer for their major. There were loud claps and whistles for anything involving engineering, particularly mechanical and electrical. When it came time to "Science, Technology and Culture," guess who was the only one clapping - me - all alone. Everyone laughed, turned around in their seats to see who this one, single person this was. They laughed, smiled and then I heard (sotto voce) "What's that? Science, technology and culture?" As I left to go to my appointment, I announced to the entire auditorium "The major exists. It exists!"

Anyways, back to my main point. So what is the major? It's exactly what it is. It's an integrative major that combines science (2 years of it), technology (everyone at GaTech takes a CS class) and culture. Basically, on a daily basis, I read, think, write (my own stuff and very few actual assignments except two term papers due at the end of the semester), discuss and then I go read some more. If you don't like reading 100+ pages a day, don't go to GaTech for anything. 

I had a test last week that had three essay questions - you pick one. I chose to write what would make a better suspense/action/horror film: scavenging, vicious, super strong robots (that aren't that bright) or a digital worm making technology completely useless. I chose the robots and I intend to put my essay on this blog for everyone to read it. It's kind of brilliant. I got to use 'warm fuzzies,' yes those two words, in my essay for a class at GaTech....I think I may have taken a huge risk by doing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment